The town of Villalba, situated on a slope, stands before the Madonie that rise beyond Polizzi Generosa. According to the news supplied by the historian Giovanni Mule Bertolo, the first lord who populated the land of Micciché (Michiken, black soil in Arabic), which extends for about 4,250 hectares, was Don Nicolò Palmeri Calafato, who purchased the barony from Domenico Corvino Caccamo, baron of Villanova, in 1751. The first houses of the village were built in 1763 and the most ancient papers of the parish archive recorded the first births and deaths in 1785.
Villalba’s civil history records innumerable popular upheavals against the baron and the mafia to get better contracts and life conditions. These rebellions began after the abolition of feudalism in 1812. On 16 September 1944, the infamous massacre of Villalba took place, marking an important moment of the peasants’ movement for the land and for freedom. While in Villalba, Girolamo Li Causi, a member of the Communist Party, was holding a public speech on the new laws on latifundium and on the abandoned land to be distributed, a mafia attack, perpetrated by the men of Don Calogero Vizzini, caused 14 wounded, including Li Causi.
From the mid-50s of 1900, the decline of agriculture has driven the people of Villalba to migrate, with an ensuing decrease of the residents that today amount to about 1,655 people.