Almost like a fence around Monte San Paolino, Sutera clings to the cliff in a suggestive and original embrace with the rock. The town’s origin seems to date back to Daedalus, the Athens’s architect who fled the Crete labyrinth and took refuge with the local king, Kocalo. The myth continues with the murder of Minos, drowned by Kocalo’s daughters, and the legendary Camico, capital city of Sikania, swallowed by the chasm in the Cliff of San Marco caused by an earthquake that split in two the nearby mountain (Rocca Spaccata) . After being the property of Guglielmo Raimondo di Montecateno, in 1397, it became "ad demanium reducta" by order of King Martino. Sold and reclaimed in the ensuing years, between the start of the 16th Century and the end of the 17th Century, the town was surrounded by new hamlets: agriculture, the only income of the new aristocracy, was dominating. Sutera became the administrative and religious centre of the Val di Mazzara; it was the seat of notables, soldiers, convents and churches. The 18th Century was the century of its decline: Mussomeli was extending its well-managed feuds, while the Sutera aristocracy was busy arguing. The decline of agriculture and the absence of industries pushed Sutera to plan a new strategic vision, with tourism as the focus.