A hill town of recent foundation, but with late-medieval origins, Serradifalco bases its economy on the traditional agricultural activity, with a modest presence of the industrial sector. Like most of the towns of the Caltanissetta province, Serradifalco was founded in the 17th Century.
The foundation licence is dated 6 December 1640 and was initially granted by King Philip IV of Spain to the baroness Maria Sarzana, widow Ventimiglia, the administrator of the feud of Francesco Graffeo. Due to mortgage problems of the Graffeo family, in 1652, the feud and the title of Baron of Serradifalco were sold to Leonardo Lo Faso, from Palermo, who became the first baron of the Lo Faso dynasty, who picked another location for the new village.
1700 was the century of the great city and architectural development of Serradifalco.
The special conditions set by both the Graffeo and the Lo Faso drove the farmers to select the town as their new residence, to work and live. This caused the first, interesting process of urbanisation of the old feud.
The Lo Faso family held the duchy of Serradifalco until 1812, the year of the abolition of feudalism in Sicily. In 1813, Serradifalco, which had belonged since its foundation to the district of Sutera, became a part of the Caltanissetta district.
In early 1900, Serradifalco changed its look thanks to the execution of many public works, but, despite the growth of residential areas, the town has suffered a constant reduction in the population until reaching the current 6,300 residents.