The current town’s origins are quite recent, although the nearby site of Vassallaggi reveals a prehistoric use of the territory. First a barony, and later a municipality, San Cataldo was founded in 1607 by the prince Nicolò Galletti, who requested the licence from the King of Sicily, Philip III. He was granted the permit to build and populate the ancient Calironi homestead. The prince was driven by political reasons, because the town’s foundation granted him the acquisition of titles and privileges, as well as his presence in the military wing of the Sicilian Parliament. The village was named after San Cataldo, like in the barony of Gagliano Castelferrato. Refurbished and renovated several times, today, the town appears like a modern city, except a few civil and religious buildings that recount his ancient history.