MUSEO REGIONALE INTERDISCIPLINARE DI CALTANISSETTA/ABBAZIA DI SANTO SPIRITO
The small church dedicated to the Holy Ghost and located a few kilometres from the city, dates back to the Arab-Norman period. Built in the 10th Century as an Arab stronghold formed by a farmstead, a corner tower and a big wheat barn, was turned by the will of Roger the Norman in 1092 into an Augustinian abbey. The church has one nave only with three small apses and a commemorative stone that reports the date of the consecration in 1153. At the end of the church, a large baptismal font dug in one block of sandstone is overlooked by the Crocifisso dello Staglio, a wooden sculpture of 1400. The stone walls feature frescoes of the same period. On the left of the Abbazia dello Spirito Santo, concealed among the olive and almond trees, there is a new building that, since 2006, has been hosting the Archaeological Museum of Caltanissetta, designed by the late architect Franco Minissi, who wanted to replicate in a smaller scale the solution already applied at “Paolo Orsi”, to exalt the antiquity of the content with materials such as cement, porphyry, pale woods, glass and metal. The museum offers five sectors, adjusted to the polygonal structure of the exhibition floor, with new educational supports in Italian and in English, and aids for blind or visually impaired visitors.
Opening of museum: daily from 9 am to 1 pm and from 3.30 pm to 7 pm. Closed on the Last Monday of the month.
Entry: € 4.00 - Reduced € 2.00
Access for people with disabilities, blind and visually impaired
Guide in Italian and English